2 new pens

Home Forums Woodturning Gallery 2 new pens

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

These are voth firsts for me.

The fountain pen goes by the name of Omega, and is dressed in Cocobolo with a friction polish and microcrystalline finish.

And the second Iis a modified slimline kit made with a solid blank. Purpleheart being the choice for this one with a friction polish and carnuba wax finish.

Good times!

C&C  always welcome

Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Brody

Is there anything that you can’t turn? These pens are great.

Quick question I been testing out the Mircocrystalline wax on a large platter and no matter what I do I have some very faint lines like scratches. I’ve have spoken with Terry (Chestnut Products) he said that you should use sanding sealer on the wood first so I sanded away the wax applied sanding sealer and re-waxed. But still there are very faint scratches. I think that most people would not be critical as they are so faint, but with me I know that they are there so it’s become a bit of a challenge.

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Ha ha, cheers Ed. There’s nothing I won’t have a go at turning 🙂

I love the variation woodturning offers, especially pens, and with a cup of tea and a bit of a think the slimline kit is probably the most versatile of them all. I’ve made a few different styles around the basic 7mm slimline kit. Good fun.

I’ve had the same problem with the microcrystalline wax on a couple of occasions.  I only use cellulose sealer with this wax now as I’ve found that fairly heavy pressure works better with it, and acrylic sealer seems to be more affected by the friction.

Also, it seems to work better on naturally oily woods to, ebony, cocobolo etc.

Hope that’s of some use mate.  To be fair,  I just bumble round the shed muttering to myself till something works usually 😀

Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

That about sums up my actions. I like the shine that you get with the Microcrystalline wax I’ve added about six coats so far, but the hair line scratches are driving me mad I think that I’ll raid the airing cupboard when my wifes not looking and see what super soft and try that 🙂

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.