Amateur Fumblings

Home Forums Woodturning Gallery Amateur Fumblings

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by brodylee brodylee 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I am a complete amateur. Apart from a few hours hands on training, and my Higher woodwork at school, I am completely self taught. I am having issues with alignment on my Record Power lathe, so occasionally have some strange effects on what I turn.
    This little box is in ash. The knot almost fell out, so is secured with sawdust & CA glue.

Ash Box

Inside Ash Box

Ash Box Bottom

Finish is shellac friction polish

luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

that looks great tom

As I have only been turning for not even a year I would love to know how to make box as I trouble with how to do it.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

That looks like a nice job Tom and good to see that you saved the knot

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

What I do Luke, and I’m not saying this is correct, is mount the cylinder between centres and form a tenon on each end for my chuck.
    I then part what will become the lid off and set this aside.
    Next, I hollow the inside using my ½” bowl gouge leaving the sides slightly thicker than the finished size. In this case I had to glue in the knot which looked like it was going to pop out.
    A run down the inside with a scraper, followed by sanding then finishing.
    Next, I mount the lid in the chuck, form the lip for holding the lid on, and slightly cup the inside before sanding & finishing.
    The body then gets re-mounted in the chuck with the lid clipped firmly on. If the lid is not a good fit, wedge it on with some damp tissue. For preference I use the blue paper rolls you see in petrol stations. (£12 buys a load from Ebay)

Once together, I use the skew chisel to bring the box to it’s final dimensions before sanding and finishing.
    I then reverse the box on the chuck using a bit of router mat to protect the inside and take light cuts on the bottom using the bowl gouge before sanding & finishing.

The hardest part is getting a good snug fit on the lid. I give my lids a fit that is slightly over-size then take very light cuts with my ½” skew chisel using it as a scraper until the fit is snug. Keep offering the box up to the lid until you are happy with the fit. It is better to have it just slightly too tight at this stage to allow for light sanding.

Hope this helps

luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Thanks tom this should be a great help as I have only been turning for not even a year and I have done over 20 projects and a box is not one of them.

Luke

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Tell you what Tom, this is made really well. Its a great shape, the lid fits well and the finish is superb. And a good save on the knot too!

Cheers     Brody

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.