Anyone Home?

Home Forums Who are you? Anyone Home?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by luke luke 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hey folks

I found this new resource through Woooturning magazine and thought I would drop by for a nosey. I’ve been around t’interwebs forums for many years and usually jump ship when the trolls move in. Hopefully this will take a while here……. 😀

For a bit of background now.
    My (real) name is Tom, and I have had a lathe since 2011. I am a complete amateur, with only a few hours of hand to hand tuition under my belt. My turning time is probably around half a shift most weeks, except when I get some time off work, so my progress as a turner is not as quick as I would like it to be. I find that each time I stand before the lathe I have to re-learn all over again.

I hope this board takes off and becomes a popular place for folk interested in turning, and the trolls & bullies are kept away.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Tom

Welcome aboard 🙂 Trust me when I say that we will do our best to keep this forum clean and tidy. It’s sole purpose is to help woodturners no matter what their ability.

It’s new only going live at the beginning of August so it will take a bit of time to build up but at the end of the day if there are only a few and we can help each other with our woodturning and have some fun then it will have been worthwhile.

So feel free to post and enjoy 🙂

All the best

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Allo Tom! I’m pretty new here too but it’s all good. And as ed said if we can help eeach other and have a laugh along the way the forum has succeeded.

I lnow what you mean about feeling like you have to relearn, until recently I’ve only had a jet 1014 to use, as 3 years ago my big lathe went bang big style ao I was resteicted to turning smaller things and I’ve only just got a new one. The first time I turned a bowl I had to relearn the process! As long as you enjoy your time turning,  that’s the important thing.

What kind of thing do you make?

Good to have another member on board

Cheers   Brody

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Glad to be here Chief. My current lathe is a Recod Power DML36SH, which replaced my Myford ML8. I have a hobby budget of £zero, so I have to wait for tools/equipment. I got the ML8 from Freecycle, and when I moved on to the swivel head machine I freecycled it back. Only fair that someone else gets the opportunity I got I think.
    The RP lathe allows me to turn much larger bowls, and do some turning I couldn’t manage on the Myford.
    Hopefully this forum will take off, and more folk will come on board. I think it’s important that traditional/dying crafts are kept alive – even if only by weekend turners and amateurs. I look at the work of folk like Richard Findley and often think how different things could have been if someone told me at school there was a living to be made working with wood in this way.
    Now the fun police have all but stopped crafts in schools – it’s a great shame.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Tom

Well my long term aim is to give something back to woodturning and to help younger people get involved I think that this will take a bit of time but that’s my plan.

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I couldn’t agree more with both of you! Working with you hands is fast becoming outdated in this often misguided world of technology. I too would like to give back to turning, and working with your hands in general in some way. I can think of few better things than taking a chunk of wood and, after all the shavings have settled, having a physical thing that you have made.

I’ve been teaching my brother in law to turn, and last weekend he came down, and turned his first pen from beginning to end.  He did a brilliant job, but most of all he enjoyed it. And I saw it in his eyes that this wouldn’t be his last time at a lathe.

I think anything that can be done, be it big or small, is nothing but a good thing.

Cheers   Brody

luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

hi tom

im one of the young wood turners only at the age of 14 and I love the hobby and finding Oliver’s woodturning helps me out a lot as I can get tips and tricks on how to do one thing and another.

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Good for you Luke. I was lucky enough to be taught turning at school, because I’m an old git and we had fully equipped workshops in those days. If you haven’t already, touch base with Alex Harris who has a youtube channel. He was originally the Teen Woodworker, and is now ThisWoodwork.
    Alex is a really nice guy and is always happy to answer questions etc. He even helps out old timers like me. 😉

There are stacks of good channels out there, many showing really good stuff. Some can be a bit long winded, and some show not so good techniques, some even show poor HSE & PPE examples. This hobby/craft is all about common sense though. If you’re not comfortable doing anything you see, don’t do it.

Good luck with the turning. Look forward to seeing your output.

luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

thanks for that tom and yes I do know Alex as have spoken to him a couple of times. but do follow his videos quite strongly but another one I watch is mike waldt and he looks good as well.

also one thing im into is seeing other peoples shop lay outs and pick different ideas and use it to my advantage so I use all the different ideas so I have the “perfect” shop but some times it doesn’t work out so I change stuff to be my own.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.