Bowl gouge

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A Bowl gouge

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      woodywood
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

I’ve been turning for a week but I can’t get to grips with bowl turning.OK I’m only trying an egg cup but I get catch after catch I am usin a 10mm gouge with standard grind.

I might just be doing it wrong but it’s winding me up

Any advice would be great

Dunc
      Keymaster
      • Skype Name:

Hi woodywood,

Have you had a look at our new series of Learn to Turn videos?

Episode 1 can be found here

Episodes 2 and 3 may also be of use to you.

woodywood
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Yes I have watched them all twice and I get how to do it but I have resorted to carbide tips to remove the wood as when I do it its pants.

Next thing Edd will tell me is to get some tuition and that will sort me out but as yet it’s out of my reach

Dunc
      Keymaster
      • Skype Name:

Are you able to upload a video of your turning to YouTube? If you can get a good view of what you are doing it might show where your issue is?

woodywood
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Dunc I have been back and watched Ed and it looked like I was not running the bevel because now I can get it to work.Will have a look at posting a pic if I can work out how

woodywood
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

One or two things have me a little puzzled I am using a 3/8th bowl gouge with a standard grind could this be a little big for the egg cup I’m trying to make?

And would a fingernail grind also help?

Dunc
      Keymaster
      • Skype Name:

Hi Woody, yes the 3/8″ is too big. You would be better off with a smaller size gouge or a spindle gouge.

Dr Glenn f Cornish
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

While egg cups seem simple, actually they are not as easy as they look. In my experience, the deeper the hollowing, the more difficult. You might like to try some shallower hollowings, where it’s easier to ride the bevel.

As with everything in turning, practivlce makes perfect, just keep turning and suddenly ‘there it is’ and you’ve got it.  As well as the video channel above, can I recommend an excellent video called understanding wood turning catches by Fine woodwork, really excellent explanations of why catches happen, and therefore how to avoid them.

If you really can’t get it, move onto something else, then go back after a few weeks, it may be better then. Let us know how you get on.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.