Bowl gouge

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A Bowl gouge

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dunc Dunc 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    woodywood
    woodywood
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I’ve been turning for a week but I can’t get to grips with bowl turning.OK I’m only trying an egg cup but I get catch after catch I am usin a 10mm gouge with standard grind.

I might just be doing it wrong but it’s winding me up

Any advice would be great

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi woodywood,

Have you had a look at our new series of Learn to Turn videos?

Episode 1 can be found here

Episodes 2 and 3 may also be of use to you.

woodywood
    woodywood
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Yes I have watched them all twice and I get how to do it but I have resorted to carbide tips to remove the wood as when I do it its pants.

Next thing Edd will tell me is to get some tuition and that will sort me out but as yet it’s out of my reach

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Are you able to upload a video of your turning to YouTube? If you can get a good view of what you are doing it might show where your issue is?

woodywood
    woodywood
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Dunc I have been back and watched Ed and it looked like I was not running the bevel because now I can get it to work.Will have a look at posting a pic if I can work out how

woodywood
    woodywood
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

One or two things have me a little puzzled I am using a 3/8th bowl gouge with a standard grind could this be a little big for the egg cup I’m trying to make?

And would a fingernail grind also help?

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Woody, yes the 3/8″ is too big. You would be better off with a smaller size gouge or a spindle gouge.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.