Burr Oak Hollow Form

Home Forums Woodturning Gallery Burr Oak Hollow Form

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Finished a Burr Oak hollow form or vase which ever 🙂 it’s been turned from a piece of boiled timber which was black on the outside. Size 280mm x 140mm finished with Danish oil and bees wax. Hollowed with the Robert Sorby Sovereign hollowing system which I was trying out.

Ed 🙂

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

This is a belter Ed. Beautiful  form and finish! How did the Sorby stand up with the burr?

Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Thanks Brody 🙂

The Sorby cuts like a dream, I now have two hollowing tools the Revolution and the Sovereign. I think that I prefer the Sorby Sovereign for the adjustment on cut. But the head size is much better on the Revolution if you’re wanting to hollow through a smaller entrance.

I’m going to test the Simon Hope one next and then do a review and video on hollowing tools. I think they all have their place but if you just want one tool then I think that something like this would show the pro’s and con’s for each type of tool.

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Ive had the Revolution,  but just couldn’t get on with it.  I’ve got  the 10mm and the new 6mm Hope tools, and they are my go to tools for hollowing.  Especially the  6mm with the cranked tip, what a cracker!

Brody

woody
    woody
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Nice rustic form Ed love it mate I to use the sorby sovereign system

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

The Sorby Soverrign System works well Woody the only issue is the size of the head, but if you’re doing vases then there’s no problem. I think like everything it could be useful to have two types of hollowing tool.

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.