Burr Oak with Burr Horse Chestnut Base

Home Forums Woodturning Gallery Burr Oak with Burr Horse Chestnut Base

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      ed (the amateur) turnered (the amateur) turner
      Keymaster
      • Skype Name:

Well I thought it was about time that I posted a few bits of what I’ve been up too.

This is a piece of Burr Oak that I decided to mount on a Burr Horse Chestnut base. The base has been turned and carved to represent a root.

Oak Burr is 320mm x 130mm and the base is 150mm x 150mm

Base has been finished with Chestnut aerosol melamine gloss lacquer. The Burr Oak has been finished finished with Chestnut Microcrystalline Wax and buffed with the Chestnut buffing system.

There’s a bit of wax residue showing in the splits in the burr I’m thinking to go over it with a hot air gun as anybody tried this or do you have another way of dealing with this?

brodyleebrodylee
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Blimey Ed that’s a stunning piece! ! !  Love the idea of carving the base as a root. It ties both together really well.

Although,  you demonstrate far more patients than i have, it must have taken blummin’ ages to get it that good.

Very, very well made sir!

Brody

Keymaster
      • Skype Name:

Brody your right about 16 hours I spent on the carving Quicker to just turn 🙂

Ed

woodywoody
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Love it Ed a real work of art have you tried a shoe brush on the wax that’s all I ever use

Keymaster
      • Skype Name:

Thanks Woody I was going to try a nail brush and if that don’t clean it out a blow torch a little heat will move it 🙂

Ed

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.