Costing Question

Home Forums Chit Chat Costing Question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tom Tom 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I think I may have bitten off more than I’m prepared to chew. I was asked to make some small wooden barrels. I did a couple of prototypes just as proof of concept, and I’m quite happy with the result. The problem is, that taking into account buying the dried oak, and a marginal amount for abrasives/finish etc. they are costing around £8 to make before I factor in my time. Doing a production run, I reckon I could knock each one out in just over an hour.

My question is, can I charge a realistic price for these without them becoming ridiculously expensive? I see similar on the likes of etsy for a few quid.

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

I think it depends on what you time is worth to you.

£20 an hour seems a reasonable starting point. Adjust it depending on how many you have to make, who you are making them for ( are they for friends or a purely business contact?). Will you enjoy it, will it be a slog.

You are using your tools, your electricity.

Its always difficult to know what to charge people for items or services as you don’t want to come across as greedy or a rip off but at the same time you don’t want to undersell yourself.

Maybe start high and see if they negotiate the price down a little?

Tom
      Tom
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

The girl has a fledgeling small business, and is looking for about 30 of these. I did consider asking her to purchase the timber, allowing for errors & breakages, then charging an hourly rate after that. I can buy well seasoned oak locally for much less than from on-line sellers, but going to select a board with enough good quality stock in it would also eat into what little time I actually get to myself.

I normally turn purely for pleasure, and even though I do sometimes sell the odd piece, if this became a regular gig I wonder whether it would spoil the hobby for me.

decisions, decisions…….

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Tom

Well as Dunc as said your hourly rate is your hourly rate, pro turners would be looking to get at least 20.00 per hour.

i can see no point in doing the job just to get your costs back if it were me I’d be charging 20.00 per hour because if I wasn’t doing these then I would be turning something that I enjoyed and could possible sell at what ever money I wanted to charge

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.