cypress wood

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A cypress wood

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar LesHow 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    LesHow
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi, I have just been offered some pieces of freshly cut Cypress wood and was wondering if any of the forum members had encountered and or used this wood and if there is any advice about how to dry it out etc.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Les

Cypress has a lovely smell. I’ve turned a piece once.

Same old thing a good sharp tool with light cuts.

Drying if possible cut the log down through the pith and seal the ends and cross your fingers.

All the best

Ed

Barnehurst
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi  Just geting into wood turning so have no experience to offer except over the past few months I have been looking at hundreads of you tube videos to see where my intrests lie. Apart from having a kiln in your workshop to do the job I did see a guy put a hunk of wood in a bag of sawdust for a few week. He weighed it first and periodicaly took it out and weighed it again.. apparently once it stops losing weight thats it. It put me in mind of the “pop a smart phone in a bag of rice” if it dropped in water technique… odly enough it did work for me.. so bag of sawdust, rice or is it all a myth… maybe more experienced wood turners can offer more.. good luck

LesHow
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi Barnehurst, Thanks for your input and as with most of us newbies I don’t have a kiln in which to dry wood but I do have a Microwave that my wife discarded for a more modern version and it does help speed up the process of drying. I used it on a piece of the cypress wood and it reduce the water content down quite a lot so i decided to try to turn it as a wet piece to start with the intention of getting it to a rough shape and then leaving it to dry before I finished it off. However after taking quite a lot of wood off of the original piece to a shape that I was happy with and then I discovered a crack running across the whole piece so not sure if it will ever get made into a bowl. I have to say however that the colouring in this wood doe look lovely so looking forward to getting into other pieces in due course. In the meantime I wish you well in your new hobby and happy wood turning. I am myself relatively new to the hobby and still have much to learn but up until now still enjoying myself albeit with the learning after making mistakes so don’t let it put you off.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.