From the Med

Home Forums Who are you? From the Med

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Tom Tom 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

tbezzina
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi All,

I am Trevor from Malta.  Just started wood turning so still into the catches bit.  I am mainly into scroll sawing and other wood things but wood turning was always something I wanted to try.   I am doing very slow progress but I am sure I will get the hang of it.  right now I am struggling with the Skew chisel.  Watched numerous videos but the thing is still doing everything except what I want it to..  And the fault is obviously mine.  So I will keep trying.  One question for the experts perhaps.  My skew chisel is straight edged and has around 15 degrees of  bevel.  Should I start with a wider angled Skew Chisel ?  would that ease things perhaps.

regards

Trev

Mark
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi Trevor,

I think most people struggle with the skew, i know i did and i’m sure its worth experimenting with angles to find what is best for you but for me it was lots of practice and keeping the skew sharp  and even now if i haven’t used it for a while i still get catches. That said the rewards are great too when you get it right the finish and sense of satisfaction make it worthwhile.

Regards Mark

tbezzina
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Thanks Mark, it’s encouraging to hear that it is a common challenging tool.  I seem to have grasped the basics of the other tools.  I am trying to practice a lot of the skew at the moment.  It is true that one improves with each minute of practice.  Like similar tools it will need to become instinctive like an extension of your hands in order to be very successful with it.

Thanks again

Trev

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

The skew is a difficult tool to master, and I know one pro turner who believes they should be banned.

Have a look on youtube for Brendan Stemp. Brendan does a great tutorial on the skew chisel. It helped me get the hang of it, and I now use it a huge amount when turning between centres.

tbezzina
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Well  a tool can be very dangerous but if there is a use for it than it is a matter of mastering it, I do not agreed with banning them unless they are really unpredictable even in pro hands.  Many tools can be dangerous, even fatal if one underestimates them and lowers his guard on them.

Thanks for the Video Tom.  Since my last post I accumulated around 2 bins of wood chips, practice,  Brenden explains some points which now start to really make sense.  I found loads of videos but he really explains well the angles, catches etc,

so thanks again much appreciated

Trev

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Trevor

Welcome to our forum, I hope that you can find the answers to your question and hopefully as we build the forum will get more people.

When I was shown how to use the skew the longest part of the skew was coloured red for a 1/4 of the blade the rest green. I was told cut with the green part and never enter the red and that seemed to work for me.

I take it your tools turned up 🙂

Ed

tbezzina
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi Ed,

good tip, I will do it until I get a good hang of it.    Yes the tools turned up.  Thanks a lot, they are a great purchase I am so happy with them, At least the mistakes I am doing I know for sure it is me and not the tools 🙂 .  I will hopefully get more items of you next year since I am really struggling to find anything related to wood turning on the island.

Thanks again

Trev

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Allo Trev. The skew is indeed a funny mistress. The way i learnt  how to handle it was by using pallet wood. Cheap to practice on, but also a good indicator of technique and sharpness. If you can get a good finish on pine, you can get a good finish on pretty much anything. I’m  no master of this tool by any stretch, but this worked for me. The first few goes looked like i was turning with a brick. The surface was battered and torn, but after a while i got there.

The skew is a tool open to interpretation as far as bevel angles go, as with any tool I suppose. I’ve got 6 skews, and they all have different grinds.

Anyway, a very warm welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour.

Brody

tbezzina
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Thanks Brody for your warm welcome.  Indeed your description fits like a glove.  I had some weeks to practice and thanks also to Ed’s tips and to the others, I managed to create some stuff and still able to count to ten with my own finger.  So far I practiced on mainly Beechwood and some lime.  Lime is somehow funny to work, loads of fine dust and very faint grain but I had a piece lying around waiting to be used.  I had to apply some light stain to get the bowl a bit more interesting.  The wands and spindletop proved to be the most items I could learn from.   The wand (sort of)  helped me in managed the skew chisel quite well.  Especially in creating the beads and also to form the thin part.  and the Spindletop to take down material in steps and playing around with a fine tip.

I posted some pics here all comments are welcome. Sorry for the pics quality, vintage mobile..

http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/Tbezzina/slideshow/Lathe%20work

Regards

Trev

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

One of my skew projects.

There are still some tool marks visible in the photo which are not so noticeable “in the wood” as it were. I really should set up my lights and stop using the flash.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Trev

Well I just took a look at your pictures, and it all looks pretty good to me.

Tom your skew work also looks good

I’ve taken to doing a bit of pen turning something I’ve not tried before and use the skew for all of them I think my next project will be to turn a ring with the skew.

Happy New Year All 🙂

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I use the toe of the skew to under-cut the rings, long point down. Just keep rolling the point under gently.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.