Happy Hallowe'en

Home Forums Woodturning Gallery Happy Hallowe'en

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by brodylee brodylee 3 years ago.

• Author
    Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

This is just for kicks & giggles, with a blind woodturner in mind. Chris Fisher has a youtube channel, and fascinates me with his turnings.
    Chris also makes horror props, which has inspired the vampire killing kit. This doubles up as a pen, using a Bic biro insert rather than a twist pen kit.

Timber is oak, sustainably sourced, and finish is friction polish. C&C more than welcome, I can see the flaws myself so get tore in.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Nice Tom and fun.

I can’t really see any flaws other than a line on the hammer head but I can’t be sure that’s a turning thing. Is there a bit of a line at the end of the handle on the shoulder of the knob? but I’m guessing as you have said you can see the flaws.

Please point out what you see as flaws so we all learn.

If I where being super critical then I would say the pen look’s a little disproportionate to the hammer. But I love the wood and finish and would be pleased to turn something like this. Nice Work πŸ™‚

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

There are a few tool marks on the handle of the hammer, one at the shoulder of the knob and some at the intersection of the handle and head. It is out of proportion, in an attempt to use up the last of the oak. the stake is not as well tapered as I would like, but I guess the burning disguises that a bit. And the hammerhead isn’t 100% centred due to me being a tad heavy handed.
    I’m quite happy with the pieces over-all though. Like everyone I suppose, I’m my own harshest critic.

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Buffy would find that very handy……. πŸ™‚

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Cheers for the feedback chaps.
    This one shows the slightly off-set hammer head. (for some reason I seem to have omitted it from the original post.

This happened despite me drilling the hole before I turned it……
    Ho-hum – one of these days…….

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Smart Tom

It’s the sort of thing that happens to me all the time πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

These look good Tom. And I guarantee that we all look at what we’ve made and go, ” oh that could have been better”. It’s part of what makes us human, and craftsmen too.

I’m guilty of this every time I finish something. After 5 minutes it’s just fine, after half an hour, it’s firewood.

But, there lies perfection in imperfection, and I always try to remember the saying, if you refuse to accept anything but the best, Β that’s often what you get.

Happy turning mate, and looking forward to seeing your next piece.

Cheers Β  Β  Brody

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.