Hi, I’m Peter from Essex

Home Forums Who are you? Hi, I’m Peter from Essex

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Peter625
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Just started woodturning at age 74, due to the loan of an old Coronet Major I wanted for its saw table. It’s over 8 feet long and takes up most of the garage. Looked at it and became fascinated by the prospect of turning wood. Read the books, watched the videos but completely forgot about the Tee-shirt. Spoke to Derek Pyatt and he and my brother-in-law got the machine going. My son bought me the Sorby chisels for my birthday and I purchased the Sorby Pro Edge from Olivers as I had no experience of sharpening such odd looking tools.

So it is a case of “All the gear and no idea”. First results of turning a square piece of wood into a cylinder – Dreadful

How long does it take to become proficient to carry out a simple basic task like that?

Ashcraft
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi Peter,

Firstly, age is absolutely no barrier to starting to turn, I have had new students over 80!

If you can get some tuition, preferably from an experienced/approved tutor, that will get you going quickly. By the end of a 2 1/2 hour session, my students almost allways achieve a cylinder from a square section with a roughing gouge and smoothed with a skew chisel. Another 2 1/2 hours should see some coves and beads with a spindle gouge. Maybe quicker with 1 to 1 tuition.

If you go it alone, it could take a lot longer, but I would recommend ‘Woodturning A Foundation Course’ by Keith Rowley which comes with a DVD.  It would also be worth visiting a local club. Check http://www.awgb.co.uk for clubs and tutors in your area.

Remember – SAFETY FIRST – Use proper PPE and learn how to sharpen tools properly, blunt tools are dangerous.

Good luck and enjoy your turning. Beware, it is addictive!

Best regards,

Tony

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.