Hi Karl here another 60 something newbie , i am from county Mayo in Ireland

Home Forums Who are you? Hi Karl here another 60 something newbie , i am from county Mayo in Ireland

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi all im Karl from county HMayo in Ireland and have just been given the use of a lathe and my lovely wife bought me a set of crown chisels, i haave been watching Oliver on you tube for a while now and thought i would love to have a go at that, so here i am hooked, its a bit scarey when you first try putting a chisel to wood on the lathe everything goes bang and wallop frightens the life out of you, but you watch the videos of the different wood turners and see the creations comming to life before your eyes and you think back to the lathe and keep going i too may be able to achieve something loke that eventualy lol.
      Can anyone tell me which bowl gouge is best for bowls ie size of gouge and lenght of handle, regards Karl

Participant
      • Skype Name:

hello Karl
      my ‘go to’ bowl gouge is a half inch Sorby but I use other sizes and brands as needs must. You ask about handle length – unless you’re” buying unhandled tools, length of gouge handles shouldn’t be a concern. I can only speak for myself and am not hugely experienced. Is there a bowl gouge with your crown set ? If so, it should start you off ok.
      There is a wealth of info on the net with some pros providing step by step guides for beginners and there are always forums like this.
      Hope you enjoy it as much as I do

Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi Seve thanks for that, the set i have has a 1/2 gouge so i will go with that, i have watched   great stuff on line  including Eds. I will try to source some wood blanks on line not easy to do with all the restrictions that are in place at the moment.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.