Hollowing

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A Hollowing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
    luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hey all, I have been recently been looking at hollow forms and wondering what the best tool is for me as a beginner in this type of turning. I would love to know your personal choice and also any tips you may have for this type of turning as I know from videos that you don’t really have much room for error as well as being able to see inside and know where you are cutting.

As a quick not i am not looking to spend a lot of money as I just want to get into this so something small would do me fine for now.

All the best

Luke

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

That’s a tricky question. As I’m sure you’re aware the amount of different hollowing tools available is staggering. Each with it’s own take on the task.

My personal choice are the Simon Hope carbide tools. It’s the only tool I use for hollowing now.

I used to have the Crown revolution, but sold it. Now I’m not saying it’s a bad tool, far from it. But It didn’t suit my style of turning.

I looked at as many tools as I could on YouTube and looked to see how they were designed to use, then chose the one that looked most suited to me.

Good luck with your choice.

luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Thank you very much brody I will definitely look into Simon hope when I first went on there I saw the cameras I’m like omg that’s what you need for hollowing , but I will re look into it.

Luke

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Luke

I would say to start with you need a tool with a shielded cutter, this way you can adjust how much wood your taking you could even have no cutter showing so you can get used to the action.

The Simon Hope tools are great but have no shield but work really well.

Tip when hollowing as you look at the opening on what will be the hollow form aim to cut the wood at 8 o’clock and have the cutting edge tilted to 8 o’clock this way there’s not too much force from the wood and there not too much cutter showing so less chance of a catch.

All the best

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.