Home Made Three Point Tool

Home Forums Chit Chat Home Made Three Point Tool

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

Jimbolisa
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Is it possible for me to grind an old screwdriver to make a usable three-point turning tool? I am not familiar with steel types and  ‘tempering’ and so on.

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Jimbolisa, I threw your question out to our Facebook followers to see if they could help and so far Leon has responded. He did something similar. Have a look at our Facebook page.

woody
    woody
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I made mine with 1/2″ silversteel from Axminster and hardened it by making it red hot and plunging it in water it  works a treat and a small one out of a masonry nail not need to harden it

Most modern screwdrivers come with a hardened tip I should imagine a blacksmith could advise you

woody
      woody
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Sorry about that I copied and pasted and this is what happened sorry can it be deleted

Dunc
      Dunc
      Keymaster
      • Skype Name:

Wow! I tried to decipher  that lot but it gave me a headache, so I deleted it. Do you just have a link Woody?

woody
    woody
    Participant
    • Skype Name:
    ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Jim

Sorry for not answering sooner I’ve been away.

Woodturning tools are made from high speed steel (well the good one’s are) screwdrivers are not, as Woody has said some have harden tips so it possible to just grind the tip. The problem however is that the screwdriver could/will bend which will weaken the steel and it will break.

You could temper the steel as again Woody has said but how do know when the steel is up to HSS standard.

If you want to make your own tool and know it will be safe to use I would buy a piece of HSS rod and shape that, but bear in mind while profiling the steel you do not want to get it above hand hot otherwise you have un-tempered the steel.

If you really want to go all the way then Woody’s link will help.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

All the best

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.