How do you sharpen Your Tools

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A How do you sharpen Your Tools

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mark 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

I’ve been talking to fellow woodturners and the debate on how we sharpen our tools.

I use a bench grinder to reshape, then I have a Jet wet wheel which I first got when I started woodturning to sharpen. But at Christmas I got the ProEdge with a diamond belt and I now use this all the time just to touch up the cutting edge.

I keep my skews to 15º bowl and spindle gouges at 45º then I have a bowl gouge for deep bowls at 60º and a little pointed spindle gouge at 15º

But I’m now playing around with a bowl gouge with a micro bevel and it will soon have no heel.

What do you use as a tool sharpening system?

What angles do you grind on your tools ?

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I use a bench grinder with a woodcut jig as it gives me all of the different angles I need and it’s easy to use. I do have a wet grinder also. But I’m not fond of either really. I do want a proedge but it’s going to be a long time before I can get one. I also have an mdf disc mounted on a faceplate that I use to hone my carving tools and my skews.

Brody

Mark
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I too use several different methods of sharpening, gouges are sharpened on the wet grinder using the Tormek jig although i use a fingernail grind i am still experimenting to find the” perfect” set-up.

Skews and parting tools are sharpened using a diamond stone and a homemade jig.

Scrapers are sharpened freehand using a diamond stone.

I do have a couple of carbide cutter tools but have only had to sharpen the round cutter once on the diamond stone just laying it flat and rubbing it up and down it a few times to re-freshed the cutting edge.

I do have a protractor so i could measure the angles i have  on various tools but as long as they cut clean and are comfortable to use i’m happy. That said i have found that you get what you pay for and the high  quality tools i have bought have been worth spending the extra money on and now the only compromise i would make is where possible buying tools without the handles and making my own – its good fun, they are easy to recognise and fit my hands perfectly.

Regards Mark

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.