how do you ………

Home Forums Chit Chat how do you ………

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Was wondering how everyone goes through the design process of whatever they are making. Do you have a certain order of process? A calm measured approach,  Or is it a sporadic flurry of activity?

I have sketch books that it draw the initial idea in and then develop it from there. I use this method if im making something someone has asked me to make, which isn’t too often 🙂

My main way is by carrying round a piece of paper everywhere I go so if something  pops in, I can write it down. Ive also found I use my camera on my phone quite a bit too.

Cheers    Brody

luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

what I do Brody is just look at a piece of wood and think what can I do with it, what’s the shape so my sketch book is in my head. one turner told me that you should never have your design set in stone as it can change very easily when you see the piece of wood that you are using and the features of that bit of wood.

Luke

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Very true words Luke. And thats a good philosophy to have. The wood will tell you sometimes.

Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Guys

Well most of what I do is in my head, I’ll visualise something and then turn to that. as I’m now turning more natural stuff think can change a bit as a void or something presents itself.

However I am always taking pictures of things when I see something that I like or I think might look good turned. I make notes on my phone as I think of things as it’s linked to the computer so when I sit down at that it pops up as an email so it reminds me.

I think that if I were do segmented work then that would all have to change as there’s far more planning involved.

I think that you need an idea in your head on on paper in front of you when you start and work from there.

happy turning all

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Ed

That’s what I love about turning. Without wanting to sound all arty farty,  It’s a very natural organic processthat seems to flow.

The segmenting side satisfies the engineer in me I suppose,  and to be honest, with the way my brain works, I didn’t think I would love it as much as I do.

Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Brody

I think that if woodturning catches you there is something within you and it just jells, the number of woodturners I’ve spoken to and the ones who really love it seem to feel the same way.

There’s something therapeutic about it and I sometimes think that I should have been doing this my whole life, bit late for that now, but it’s going to be with me now and till the end.

The people I meet via woodturning all seem to be both helpful and friendly.

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I need to start planning stuff. I’m currently in the “suck it and see” frame of mind where I look at a piece of timber and decide what it wants to be. The result is usually a pile of bowls or mushrooms etc. which never see outside the shed. I recently attended a craft fair and was dismayed at the quality of what was on sale and the amount of money being charged for it all. I know I should be selling mine if that stuff was shifting for ridiculous prices, but it’s finding the time what with working full time and having a family and all.

I normally set myself a challenge to make something out of the ordinary, but simply have not had the time this year. Last year I did a giant hour glass, and the year before a ship’s wheel. This year I was thinking about turning a showman’s engine but I haven’t even made a start on that.

I need to work out how to get it all down on paper and try to remember how to use my scale-rule I haven’t touched in 20-odd years.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Good Luck with that Tom 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.