I'm still here

Home Forums Chit Chat I'm still here

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi guys. I’ve not been around much lately due to a shoulder injury. I fell when we were in London in November, and as it turned out injured my left rotator cuff. Being the eejit I am, I did nothing about the injury after I fell. I thought it would get better on its own.
    Fast forward to February, and there I am out in the shed one Saturday. I decided to have a look at the conker I have up in the roof space. I stood on my trusty trestle, reached over and TWAAAANNNNGGGGGGG! Something gave.

Long story short, went to A&E, then GP on the Monday, and have been off work (and out of the shed) ever since. After x-rays and ultrasound, it transpires I have no major ruptures in the muscles and no torn tendons. I do however have severe deterioration of the joint, the ball is sitting too high in the scapula, the tendons have been stretched and weakened, and my muscle is calcified where it was damaged originally.

I am now in week 5 of physiotherapy, and I am starting to get some movement back. Physiotherapist does not think I will ever get back the full range of movement, but is happy with my progress to date.
    Totally scunnered though. Even lifting my arm to the keyboard hurts after a while.

I want to go out to play! It’s not fair! 🙁

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Oh dear Tom. That’s not good. Hope your recovery is a swift one.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

That not good Tom let’s hope the improvement continues

Ed

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Could somebody turn Tom a new arm and shoulder joint please?

Get better soon Tom.

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Breaking news! I’m getting back in the shed again, and managing small pieces of turning at a time. I have mainly been finishing things I started before I injured myself, but I have also started my project for this Summer. (all will be revealed) I have joined a Facebook group featured by Mike Waldt in one of his videos, which is a wealth of knowledge and has members new to turning, relative beginners (like me) advanced and even pro turners. If you haven’t already, and use Facebook, check out Woodchuckers.

I’m still not 100% recovered, but physio have discharged me, because there is nothing left they can do for me. It’s now just a case of exercise and working at getting back the full range they thought I would never get back. Most of my movements are at the 85% to normal mark, although one or two are still only about 65-70%
    Most important, apart from the arthritic pain, I have no restricting pain at all.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Tom Glad to hear your back and hopefully the turning will help you.

Let’s hope that you stay pain free 🙂

All the best

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.