It's not looking good

Home Forums Chit Chat It's not looking good

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tom Tom 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I “upgraded” my lathe earlier this year. I gave away my Myford ML8 via freecycle (‘cos that was how I got it) and bought a used Record Power DML36SH instead. I noticed the motor did not seem to have the same torque as the Myford, but put this down to it being a much smaller motor.
    I noticed the motor was stopping in use as well, when polishing as well as turning, so changed the capacitor as this is often the cause of motor problems.
    All seemed to be well for a while, but trying to turn a vase at the weekend i noticed the motor was stopping at the slightest bit of pressure.

Is this normal, and am I simply working the lathe too hard – or is it a sign of a dying motor?
    Is there an easy way to test an induction motor?

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

I was going to suggest checking the bushes but induction motors don’t have any. There is a short guide on testing induction motors

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Would suggest contacting Record directly. Polishing shouldnt give a motor any problems. Did the cap change make any difference?  When its stalling, is it hot or cold?

Cheers Brody

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

It’s well out of warranty Brody, and I have no idea how it was treated before I got it. I’ll do an insulation resistance test on the windings at the weekend. The capacitor change seemed to help for a while, but it started again at the weekend when I was roughing a bit of birch. I tried taking very light cuts, but it was still stalling.
    It was quite warm when this started happening.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Tom

That’ does not sound too good, it sounds like the motor if it getting hot and cutting out, but I’m no expert. Did you follow Dunc’s link he pretty good at that sort of stuff.

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I’ll have a look at it at the weekend then. I only get a few hours on a Saturday in the shed so my playtime is pretty restricted.

Cheers folks

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I thought I should update this topic, just in case anyone is desperate to find out.

I tested the motor both cold and hot, and it’s all tickety-boo. Voltage at the windings is bang on, and insulation resistance test passed. I did find out though that it is just horribly under-powered for what I want to do.
    I went from a 1HP motor to a ⅓HP motor, which is quite a drop. I assumed, wrongly it seems, that modern motors would be more efficient and able to deal with loads better.
    I am now on the look-out for another cheap lathe which fits my requirements. One must is a cast iron bed-way, because I just do not like the dual bars of the Record lathe.
    I’m currently aiming for the Axi AWVSL lathe range, which is what I was intending buying when I bought the Record one. At the time, the Record lathe was so cheap I couldn’t say no. Buy in a hurry, buy twice. I’m not in such a rush this time round, so will take my time and see what is available before I part with my hard-earned.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Tom

If your looking at the AWSL range if you go for the variable speed model the thing you should know is that you can not turn the speed down once stopped and restarted. It will only start again at the speed you stopped it at.

You can only change the speed when its spinning up or down.

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Good to know Ed, thanks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.