Just saying Hi

Home Forums Who are you? Just saying Hi

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by iansblog iansblog 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    iansblog
    iansblog
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Thought I would stop by and say hello, very new to woodturning so new in fact that I have not even starting to build my wood shop, many thanks to Ed for the advice on a nice starting set of tools.

The workshop build starts this weekend and we will soon move onto getting some kit, and some introduction to turning scheduled for January.

So any advice for someone very new to this?

Ian

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Welcome aboard Ian sadly the forum is not very busy but I’ll keep trying with it.

All the best

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi from another IT refugee.

My best advice to anyone starting out, is don’t try to learn in exclusion. You are booked in for some tuition, which is great. Now find the turning club nearest to you, and join that. In the vast majority of cases, established turners will be more than happy to help with your turning and sharpening. You will always find the odd twunt who will try to put you off, but ignore them.

Buy a copy of the Keith Rowley book. (I think the new one comes with a DVD) Most of all, practice, practice, practice. Don’t be afraid to give it a try before your tuition. If you get it wrong, whomever you are learning with will give you a steer in the right direction.

There are lots of very good tuition videos on YouTube, plus a load of bad ones. The rule of thumb is to never try anything that makes you feel uncomfortable/unsafe. My first experience of YouTube turning was Bob Hamilton, followed by Cap’n Eddie Castelin. Since then I have discovered a huge amount of turners who are excellent at their craft, if maybe not the best at presenting.
    Look out for Chris Fisher too, “The Blind Woodturner,” who never ceases to amaze me.

Good luck

iansblog
    iansblog
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I have watched some of the blind woorturners videos and he is amazing.

I will book out the book by Keith is this the one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-Foundation-Course/dp/1861081146/

Ian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.