Just starting out

Home Forums Who are you? Just starting out

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 7 months ago.

• Author

Tim Cornwall
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi, My name is Tim , and I’m just starting  out into the world of woodturning, a Bit about me, my first  meeting with woodturning was watching my farther at his lathe as a young boy (he was a antique restorer by trade) I remember being fascinated by it , I did nothing about it for about 50 years (i’m now in my mid 50’s ), as I was into motorbikes and sport from a very young age, then married life and a son took over and I have never had the time.

About 2 years ago I had a hip replacement, and while off work I went to the local newsagents and was looking through the magazines and come across  the woodturning magazine, well it stirred up memories for me again.

with my son growing up and soon not needing dad to take to rugby and cricket all the time , I could see me having more spare time, and thought woodturning will be the ideal hobby, so in August this year I took myself off to see Tom Pockley at iden for a 2 day course, needless to say I was hooked, and what a teacher.

last month I started clearing the garden for a space for a workshop, and I now have a 9×16 shop in place, this weekend I will be insulating it and dry lining  ready for the electrics to go in ( I have looked at woody’s with envy and am trying to pinch some ideas hope you don’t mind Woody).

I have no lathe yet or tools , they will have to wait till I can save up some cash, no doubt I will be making my way to Oliver’s for help and advise as suggested by Tom, I also want to join a club either Weald wood turners or Ashdown forest wood turners , any help would be greatly received

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Tim

Sorry I’ve not reply sooner, we have been busy and then had to deal with a break-in at Olivers Woodturning. Before you buy any tools joining a club would be a great idea, you can pick up a lot from just going along and chatting with the other turners. Also it’s a good place to find a good second hand lathe.

Good old Tom as a lot to answer for, I started my woodturning with a two day course with Tom and went back a few more times. He is one very nice man and a great woodturner. I now have the pleasure of calling him a friend.

If I can help and I don’t mean by just selling you tools please feel free to give me a call and I will do whatever I can to help.

All the best

Ed

Tim Cornwall
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Thanks , Ed, yes i did hear via the u tube about the break in, there sure are some scumbags  about, just got in from the  new man cave, i have been insulating and dry lining it today , nearly done , next is jablite boards into roof space then OSB on the floor then it will be paint brush out and start painting.

I will certainty be paying you a visit in the new year when i have saved some funds up

i wish you a very merry  Christmas and happy new year

Regards Tim

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Tim

Think about your floor, dependent on what type of lathe you are thinking of some of them weigh a few hundred Kg

Have a good Christmas and Happy New Year

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.