Morning!

Home Forums Chit Chat Morning!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by brodylee brodylee 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Morning all. Just thought I’d pop my head around the door and see how everyone was. I’ve had a rather frantic past few weeks. I’ve  started selling cast pen blanks, which has had me making and processing before and after the day job. I’ve  done 2 craft fairs recently, with another one to come soon. I’ve got a side table to finish before the weekend for one of my old work mates, and a few other bits and bobs going on.pretty much flat out at the mo! 😀

Great 2nd newsletter by the way, and the ca for bowls tutorial has been thoroughly digested and added to the to do list

So, whats everyone else upto? Hope yyou’re all well

Cheers

Brody

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Sounds interesting.

I haven’t been doing anything remotely woody. The father in law passed away 2 weeks past Saturday so we had to head South to start making arrangements. Spent all of last week and the previous weekend in London making arrangements, and will be heading back down again Thursday to finalise things for the funeral on Monday. I have taken the rest of next week off to get over all the travelling and emotional upheaval, so might get some turning done then – weather permitting. It’s getting to the time of year when it’s not much fun being out in the shed.

While away, I did manage to edit a couple of videos of me working at the lathe. They’re a bit rough because as ever I am on a budget of zero and my cameras are discarded CCTV cameras from work, only one of which I managed to get talking to the laptop. My eventual aim is to be able to record myself working, and watch it back to see where my technique needs brushed up etc. I don’t have any great desire to be a youtube broadcaster as such – there are enough of those already. These videos were entries for the annual competition run by Alan Stratton & Carl Jacobson. Not winners by any stretch of the imagination, but I always think it’s a good thing to get out there and have others see how I do things – and let me know where I’m going wrong.

I had a piece of glassware made, and while at the glassmaker picked up a commission to turn some boxes in the shape of barrels. I hope to get started on those next week.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi – Low Brody & Tom

Nice video Tom very Christmas 🙂 I understand what your going through at the moment My Mother-in-Law passed away in the middle of October, and life just takes another twist.

Hope it all goes well Monday or as well as it can.

I’ve been playing around in the workshop and done a bit of carving on a project that I’ll post tonight but I won’t be rushing down the carving route any time soon, it just takes so long. Also been playing with paint and more CA so there be another couple of post’s.

With all that’s been going on the old forum has been a little neglected, but I’m getting back to normal now.

Brody I have not forgot your spindle blanks just awaiting on the timber guy to tell me they are ready, in fact that’s been a while I’ll chase him up once I stop typing. In fact I’ll stop typing Now 🙂

Mark
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi all,

I like your idea Tom of using the video camera to check on ones technique i will give that a try over the Christmas break. I too have not been turning that much lately there seems to be an unending list of “must do’s” for me to attend to but surely they must end soon? What i have been doing is microwave drying some timber so as i have a good supply for the holidays and so far all is going well with no real disasters next i am going to try some cherry is was given but i know from past experience that it checks very easily so will have to take it slow and not over-cook it,

regards Mark

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Mark I turn a fair bit of Cherry hollow forms and vases, I turn it wet and use super glue as a finish this also helps with the splitting. Worth a try. 🙂

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Sorry to hear about your loss Tom. There’s never a good time of year for that.

Good idea about the video though, never thought of doing that.

Ed, thanks for sorting the blanks out, i very much appreciate it 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.