my little piece of paradise

Home Forums Workshop my little piece of paradise

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  allymuir 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Just a quick tour of my 10×10 shed. Everything has to earn it’s place and I’ve built as much on wheeled bases so I can access it quickly, but also is out of the way when I’m not using it.

This is my main bench, which apart from a few blanks and works in progress I try to keep clear. The shelf holds my pen blanks, and jigs, my open segmented press, and the draw at the end for my air brush and rotary tools. And wood storage of various sizes and types in trays on the floor

My axminster band saw on wheels at the end with jigs/fences on the wall behind it

My one month old Axminster 1628vs lathe that I’ve only scratched the surface of what it is capable of. Very very pleased with it though

Tool wall with my most used bits and bobs

My Jet 1014 which Iis still as solid as the day I bought Iit. Mainly used for pens, small boxes etc with a cabinet for drill bits, pen bushes ets under it and a shelf for my small tools close to hand

Bench sander and small drill press. The sander is good, the drill press not so. But it does the job

And finally, my wet and dry sharpening stations. Again, both on wheels.

I’m going to make it all a mess again now ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers ย  ย  Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Well Brody That’s one very tidy set up great idea to have the different bits on wheels make’s the whole space very flexible.

The 1628 is a great lathe and I would think one of the best for it’s price around. The only poor point I think is the silly pin that you get to lock the spindle, I had a mishap with mine where I was undoing the faceplate with a large platter, gave the platter a sharp couple of jerks with the pin locking the spindle the pin bounce loose and the second was the pin on the floor but it left a burr on the locating hole so the spindle then clicked as the burr rubbed the housing.

Replaced the spindle and then rubbed down the old one so I have a spare ๐Ÿ™‚ for next time.

Great turning den

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Cheers ed. When I was looking at the reviews of the 1628 before I bought it, the spindle lolck seemed to be a common denominator. Think it’s a bit of an afterthought to be fair. I do like the double ended morse taper bar that comes with it though so you know for sure it’s lined up, nice touch.

Swings and roundabouts I spose. It might sound funny, but I’m still getting used to how quiet it is, and I love the reverse facility. Thats one thing ive been waiting to get my paws on for ages ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers ย  ย Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

The double ended MT bar must be a new thing I did not get one of those with mine last December.

luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

great setup brody

I like it I have a shop tour on you tube in about 2 hours my YouTube channel is Luke Bundock

so would be great to see you subscribe.

luke

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

It took me a while ed to work out what it was. Me and my brother were stood in the shed going, ” what’s it for ” ย and after we had put the lathe on the stand the penny dropped. Which is worrying really, as I’m an engineer and he’s an aerofoils inspector! Der ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

allymuir
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi, have you any problems with your lathe on a wooden floor? Im hoping to get the same lathe from axminster but was worried about stability? Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.