My Workshop

Home Forums Workshop My Workshop

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by brodylee brodylee 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

In case anyone has stopped by this is my workshop.

It’s 18′ x 16″ ish and kitted out with:

Jet Whetstone sharpener (soon to be replaced by ProEdge).

Charmwood W750 bandsaw.

Apollo Woodpecker Lathe.

Axminster AT1628VS main Lathe.

AWVSL1000 (my sons Lathe).

Sealey pillar drill.

Dewalt cross cut mitre saw.

Any question about any of this kit please feel free to ask

Ed

Delta thicknesser

10″ table saw

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

That’s a good looking workshop ed! II’ve just bought a 1628vs. Not had much spin time on it yet but it seems as tough as a battle ship. How do yoy find it?

Might take some pics of my man cave and put them up.

Cheers   Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Brody

I think that you won’t find a better lathe for the money and in fact it probably better than lathes costing a lot more. So far I’ve mounted and turned platters to 30″ and mounted chunks of wood up to 50kg on it and it’s been great.

The variable speed is very responsive and being able to move the control box around the lathe so it’s where your standing is something that I would not be without.

I think you have picked yourself a first class lathe.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of your man cave.

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Cheers ed. I’ve not heard anything bad about these, I know a couple of people who have them but they’re not really spinning anything big on theirs, so it’s good to know that it can handle the big stuff.  I did have my heart set on a Jet 1642 for about 3 years, but when these came out I went to Axminster to see them side by side and the 1628 just trumped the Jet. 2hp rather than 1.5hp, wider bedways, and the thing that really did it for me was the control box. Really didn’t like the idea of having to reach around the big out of balance painful spinning thing to turn the lathe off! 🙂

Cheers   Brody

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.