New to wood turning

Home Forums Chit Chat New to wood turning

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Joiner_8
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi Guys, I have just joined the forum and would like some advice I am a joiner to trade and retired now so am interested in purchasing a wood turning lathe.

I have limited space in my garage but would still like to setup a lathe and don’t think i will be interested in turning the big stuff, maybe 12″ bowls or some small spindle work I have been looking at 2 lathes a record DML 305 and a Record DML 320 variable speed the DML 320 seem to be alot cheaper than the DML 305, as a starter to wood turning can anybody give me some advice on which of the two i should be looking at .

Regards Dewar

lee85
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi there also new I just purchased the record power dml320 variable speed lathe. I’m quite happy with it a good solid piece. No just need some lessons loo

lee85
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi there also new I just purchased the record power dml320 variable speed lathe. I’m quite happy with it a good solid piece. No just need some lessons lol

lee85
        Participant
        • Skype Name:

I was advices to go for the top end of what I could afford and when I factored in all the other items I needed the 320 was just in budget but as I say I’m happy with it and when I do outgrow it I hear they are quite re salable

CrawfordR67
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi, what size of woodscrew should I use to fix a backplate onto a bowl blank?

Woodyturner
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi Dewar, I would suggest a lathe that can turn 12″ or more in diameter and i think Variable speed although not a must have, is so practical and desirable, as for the bed length of the lathe if you are not going to be making kitchen table legs or snooker cues then the midi lathes (not mini) which you see a lot of online & on Ebay and indeed on this site here, will be great for what you want, there are so many smallish things you can make on a lathe and have great fun in doin so. In fact if and when am allowed to i will upload some of the many items i have created on my SIP Midi lathe and some of the woodturning tools that i have made myself over the years.

Notend
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Thank you all very interestingly described.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.