novice

Home Forums Who are you? novice

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

matthewdavies580
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi all. Matt here from swansea,south wales.

Extreme novice to this and never ever turned anything. Looking to make a start on this now and start making my own items, maybe even to sell.

Any help or guidance would be amazing.

Matt

Brian
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi Matt,

a bit of a novice myself, best advice. Find a good instructor and / or a local woodturning club. You just have to get The Basics right, both for safety and a good basis to build on.

good luck

Brian

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Matt,

Welcome to Olivers Woodturning.

Brian is right, lessons in the basics is a great way to get up to speed and forums are good for asking questions.

You are quite a way away from us, otherwise I would point you to towards a lesson or two from Ed, our overenthusiastic woodturner leader. I’m sure your local club can point you in the right direction so that might be a good place to get started.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Matt

I see that Dunc as posted a reply and what both Brian & he have posted is correct. I would make contact with your local club first you can find a list of clubs here http://www.awgb.co.uk/club-list/ These are all AWGB clubs. The AWGB is The Association of Woodturners of Great Britain, there are also other clubs and a search on the internet might find you another near you.

I would go along to your local before you do anything else, here you will be able to find a woodturner who can teach or get a recommendation for someone local to you.

Doing both these things first, you will also be able to find out what type of lathe you will need and which tools. This could save you money in the long run.

If you just want some advice on woodturning lathes and tools feel free to give me a ring and I can talk you through what you will need to start if you have not already jumped in at the deep end 🙂

Welcome to Olivers Woodturning and woodturning it’s a great thing to get in to and the rewards are endless.

All the best

Ed

Trev3405
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi all

Ive been fortunate in that my good lady bought me an axminster variable speed hobby lathe and a friend gave me half a dozen different chisels.  I have now bored her to death by spending every minute on you tube and turned my 1st bowl (which in my excitement did everything wrong but thoroughly enjoyed making and invaluable in learning from my mistakes).  Before I go too far is there anyone near me (West Malling) that would be interested in taking a 50+ novice under their wing and sharing their knowledge with

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Trev

I teach woodturning but a day with me I would have to charge you for.

If your wanting to pick up woodturning without paying for lessons then I would suggest joining a woodturning club. There’s one at Aylesford Kent Woodturners you can find them here

They made have members very close to you that might offer to share a bit of help over a cuppa.

I will be starting Learn to Turn on my YouTube channel in the very near future you can find that here

Welcome to woodturning and Olivers Woodturning

Ed

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hello again Trev

Just thought I have some articles that might help you to start with under the News Heading below.

This one might be of use, Using a Bowl Gouge http://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/using-the-bowl-gouge/

All the best

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.