offset segmented vase

Home Forums Woodturning Gallery offset segmented vase

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by brodylee brodylee 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Practice run on offset segmenting. I didn’t really concentrate on the form, rather just the process. IIt’s not the worst thing to look at! IIt’s just a bit shapeless.  But now I know I can do it, the next one should look better

C&c  welcome

Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Brody

I like the concept, agree the form needs some work.

What’s the wood the vase looks like Yew?

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Yeah ed it’s Yew and Sapele. The yew had a great big crack where I put the segments, so it killed two birds with one stone.

Cheers   Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

The wood always tells you where to go 🙂 🙂 🙂

luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

that looks really nice could I ask.

how you got the slots?

Luke

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi luke. The slots come from individual segments placed on a jig and the glued to the solid section of the timber

This is of another glue up, but it shows the jig and how the gaps are created.

Goin to be doing some more open segmenting, so will do a tutorial if it’s of any use

Cheers mate     Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Brody

If you would like to do a tutorial why not make it an article that we can publish on the site we reward these with 1500 points so long as it original and around 300 words and some pictures would be good like above.

We then publish this for all to share, this is going to be a big part of the site to help other woodturners. I need to find a few people that know what they are doing, it will then become just like a club where you all help each other.

We will give you full credit and make it a news item.

If you want to do it just email it over to me ed@oliverswoodturning.co.uk

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Cheers ed. That’s something I would love to do. Thanks for asking. I’m no teacher mind, so will run it past you and see what you think.

Cheers     Brody

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.