Painted Bowl

Home Forums Woodturning Gallery Painted Bowl

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi, Anybody that reads this.

Here’s a painted bowl that I turned in June. It’s made from Tree of Heaven and it was painted with green and blue wood dye, then finished inside and out with CA glue which has given it the glass like shine.

paint Bowl 2Painted Bowl

Bill Mooney
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Seen this before, liked it then & like it now.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Bill

Welcome aboard

Thanks, yes I’ve posted it on FB and AWGB but now I’ve set my site live I’m adding all my work bit by bit so there’s something on the forum.

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

That’s gorgeous! The colours are vivid yet transparent, and I love the way you can still follow the grain from the outside all the way in.  I’ve never used ca on a bowl, but looking at this, that might change. Do you dry or wet sand after the ca is applied?

Cheers    Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Brody

I wipe the CA on with a paper towel, without the lathe spinning then spin the lathe and apply boiled linseed oil leave it for 20 minutes or so then I sand with 600 grit repeating the process till I’m happy with the coating. Once I have completed the final coat I give it a light sanding then a few coats of burnishing cream buffed make it go like glass.

I had a guy in the unit last week and he uses CA a lot and finds that very fine wet and dry wetted really works well so I’m working on a deep bowl that I’m going to try this on.

All the best

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.