Parting tool sharpener

Home Forums Learning Resources Parting tool sharpener

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by brodylee brodylee 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Mark
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="600"]Parting tool sharpener Parting tool sharpener[/caption]

I hope this post is delivered ok having had problems with photobucket.

The sharpener is fairly quick to make, this prototype took about an hour to assemble and cost approx £2- and the good bit is it works a treat. Sharpening on the diamond plate is quick and removes very little steel, about six passes  on each side is all it takes to restore the sharp edge . The idea is not mine, it  comes from the plane iron sharpening guide and i have also made ones for my parting tools with equal success.

Happy sharpening – Mark.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Mark

That looks a very simple but effective thanks for sharing

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Ooooh! I like that. I have one of the guides for wood chisels, which I never use because I prefer to do my chisels freehand the way I was taught. I like that idea for square scrapers & parting tools though. I never gave using a slip stone or similar a thought for turning tools. I know some guys use diamond cards as they turn, on skew chisels to keep them dressed.

I’ve just picked up a pair of in-line skates from freecycle for a steady rest project, but will have 3 wheels left over – complete with bearings.

The cogitation has begun. If I only had more time. I really need to get rid of this day job malarkey…. 😀

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Nice one Mark. It don’t have to be complicated and expensive to work. I like the possibility of variation too.

Brody

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.