Pointers for a New Turner

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A Pointers for a New Turner

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      • Skype Name: Dans Dad

Hi all, I am as new as they come to wood turning! I used to have a go in a family friends workshop many moons ago and have always hankered after getting my own set up, well now I have.I have now got a Perform CCL which I believe is made by Axminster, my research tells me it’s not the greatest, but a good place to start. My main question is I now need to get a chuck for it but I am not sure what I need in terms of jaws etc. The spindle size is 1” x 8tpi. The Axminster set seems so expensive, what’s my best alternative? I would welcome some suggestions based on other people’s experiences. I would also value other members suggestions on other bits and pieces you find indispensable and I should consider purchasing? Can’t wait to get started!

Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi Dan’s Dad

I too am a Newby 10 months in and my first lathe is the perform ccl. There is very little you can’t do on this lathe and admittedly I was lucky as mine came with a Robert Sorbey patriot chuck and various bits. Record chucks are cheaper and the jaws etc. Will fit both. My first bit of advise is to give it a bit of TLC. Oil the drive shaft using Ptfe oil not WD40 and the bed will help smoother movement of tail stock and tool rest banjo. A quick squirt on moving metal parts of tail stock is always a good idea I repeat this process once every 4-6 weeks. Check the two grub screws on the drive pulley are tight they can work loose and just need nipping up to stop any chatter. Check drive belt for any wear Axminster do hold these in stock. (Just a case of talking to the right person and resisting being talked into buying a new one). Once you have done these few bits check that head stock and tail stock line up using a couple of drive centres and bring them together.

If like me you want to leap in with the largest lump of wood you can find you could experience having to chase your prized possession around the work shop trying to hit the stop button. You can resolve this by weighting the lathe down with sand bags.

Hope this helps

Participant
        • Skype Name:

Advice sound but the comment about the lathe brought a smile to my face. Been turning just over a year with an Axminster AC355WL.. only has a 14″ swing but does everything I need. I did try a large log and , as you said, it vibrated abit, Try speeding up? yep and had a nice dance around the worktop trying to get to the stop button.lol

Participant
      • Skype Name: Dans Dad

Hi tonygf

Many thanks for the valuable advice, I’ve ordered some PTFE oil and will check out the other bits you mentioned.

One other question, what do you use to finish your pieces, I’ve been reading about friction polish, oils and  many other products and wondered what gives the best finish?

Will keep you posted on my progress!

Thanks

Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi Dans Dad
      Sorry for delay I found watching Martin Saban-Smith on you tube a great help in finishing ideas and his companies products Hampshire Sheen seem to do what it says on the tin. Also his website provides product use instuctions and the order and method of use. Its another of the things in turning that you can spend a shed load of money and time on. I also found joining a local club if you have one handy for getting ideas etc.
      Hope this is useful Tony

Participant
      • Skype Name:

hello all, I need to replace the bearings on my Nova 16-24, does an one know if I can get the bearings elsewhere than of Record Power.They want the best part of £100 for them,which seems a bit strong to me. Cheers.

Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi Dan’s Dad,

If you want to buy a reasonable chuck for a reasonable price you can do a lot worse than Charnwood. All their chucks retail at around £99 with chuck jaws at £25. I would go for either the Viper 3 or Nexus 3. (TONYGF – The jaws from the Patriot 3 and the Nexus 3 are interchangeable, so that may be your best and least expensive route for a variety of jaws). These jaws come with a variety of inserts so choose the one to fit your lathe thread.

Definitely find a local woodturning club (listed on the AWGB website) and if you can, get a taster day with a tutor. Start taking the Woodturner magazine as there is a lot of advice in there. A really good book to get you started is ‘Woodturning A foundation Course by Keith Rowley’ Published by the Guild of Mastercraftsmen £11.93 or with DVD £16.98 on Amazon. I started with that book over 20 years ago and am now an AWGB Approved Tutor.

I hope this helps you. Whatever else – ENJOY

Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi Trev,

If you can take precise measurements of the bearings and/or bearing type number it would be worth trying ‘Quality Bearings Online’. They came up with the goods for a bandsaw thrust bearing I needed to replace. One thing to note is whether both sides of the bearing are enclosed and let them know when you order it. Best of luck.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.