Pot of Gold MK ll

Home Forums Woodturning Gallery Pot of Gold MK ll

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Well went back to the drawing board with the Pot of Gold after the feedback that I’ve had from various people and this is MK ll turned piece of Pine 300mm x 130mm finished with CA and raised gold band on blue colour.

Ed

Mark
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Ed you should be really pleased with this it all works well together, and is really set off with the gold decoration,
    regards Mark.

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Simply superb sir! A very ingenious idea. A fantastic form and the textured band is spot on

Brody

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Love it Ed. One question though. The CA finish. Do you wipe it or airbrush it? I’ve had some disastrous results with CA on bigger items, but saw a Cap’n Eddie video where he airbrushed a CA finish and quite fancy trying it.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Tom

I wipe it on without the lathe spinning, once the piece is covered in CA I spin the lathe and cover the CA in Linseed oil, leave for a few minutes then spin the lathe again and wipe of the Linseed oil. I then leave this again for a few minutes before sanding with 600 grit. I repeat this process till I’ve built up a good coat of CA about 6 times then I’ll sand with Nyweb pads (not the course), once smooth and clean of any marks I coat with Chestnut Burnishing Cream and buff.

Pop you have a glass type finish 🙂

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.