Purple Haze

Home Forums Woodturning Gallery Purple Haze

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by woody woody 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I bought a purpleheart bowl blank last week, my first ever go at this species. I don’t as a rule buy prepared blanks, mainly because I’m too mean/skint. As an experiment in costing, thanks to Woodturning magazine, I discovered that to break even on this piece, not even turn a profit, I would need to sell this 5″ diameter by 3″ high bowl for £30

I wish I had cleaned the polish off’f this before I took the photograph.
    Some people do make money from turning, but I think I will stick to doing it for fun. I have sold the occasional bits & bobs, but all from scrap or free timbers.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Tom

With the base clean up it’s a very nice looking bowl made from very fine wood so why not get 30.00 quid + for it

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Maybe it’s the circles I move in 😀 I don’t know anyone who buys art etc. so find it difficult to explain to folk why something is worth what it is.

My difficulty with selling that bowl would be finding an outlet for it.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Tom

If you love your turning then find art and craft fairs that sell your type of work and believe in your ability to turn.

I’m going to do my first show Saturday and I don’t think that I’m taking anything that I want less than 50.00 for

I won’t devalue my work or the art of woodturning.

I’ll be posting what I’ve taken and what happens

Woodturning is a skill and a art the same as any other art.

Ed 🙂

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Looking forward to hearing of your experiences. The problem I have with selling mainly, is time. I work 5 days, and as my missus is severely disabled I have my Sundays mapped out for me with household chores/shopping and the like.
    The only shed time I get is on a Saturday for a few hours. I see this as very precious time, which I would much rather spend making stuff.

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Tom this is a beauty, and, as said with the bottom cleaned up would fetch more the 30 dabloons. I do see where you are coming from, as time to turn is rare and sacred. I’ve had aspirations of making money from turning, but I’ve had too many false starts over the past year, so maybe it’s not meant to be.  Besides, I’m no salesman. My mate could sell rice to china, but I just don’t have that ability. Ah well eh. Turn for money, or relaxation as long as we get something from what we do that’s enough.

Ed, good luck on Saturday,  I’m sure you’ll do well. You deserve to with the pieces you’ve shown us. Looking forward to seeing how it goes:-)

Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

I’ll take loads of pictures to show and give everyone a full update of my experience good or bad 🙂

Ed

woody
    woody
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Nice shape and finish polish the bottom and there’s no reason why you cant charge what you want

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.