Robert Sorby Pro edge

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A Robert Sorby Pro edge

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    woodywood
    woodywood
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Is it just me or is it very hard to sharpen a skew with the Pro edge on mine the handle of the skew catches on one of the bolts holding the motor on causing the skew to lift up a bit.

Bear in mind I have been doing this wood turning job for 2 weeks.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Woody

Not sure how you are getting the handle anywhere near the motor fixing bolts, are the tools the small micro type?  Could you send a picture so I can see what you are doing???

All the best

Ed

woodywood
    woodywood
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

woodywood
    woodywood
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Woody,

You may need to move the grinding arm into a more upright position, yours is laying back too far. There is an allen key adjustment at the bottom of the arm to do that. However, Ed has more info below.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Graham

I just had a another complaint about sharpening a skew on the ProEdge and so I have pulled a new one out of the box to see what’s going on, as I’ve never had this problem on mine.

It seems that Robert Sorby have changed the design slightly and with a shorter 1″ or 11/4″ skew I can see there could be a problem.

Robert Sorby are on shut this week, I’ve spoken to the rep and he is going to look in to this with their engineer on Monday so I’ll need to get back to you.

All the best

Ed

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

We had a look last night and you can see the differences in the design and the the part that seems to be causing the issue.

New and Old ProEdge models size by side

New and Old ProEdge models size by side

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Woody

I have been speaking with Robert Sorby and what they say is to sharpen skews on the new design ProEdge you have to tilt the belt housing back to a more horizontal position. This is done by undoing the two countersunk socket screws which are located at the bottom of the belt housing on the round steel fixing plate.

I’ve tested this and with the belt housing in this position sharpening any size skew works fine.

All the best

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.