Sharpening systems

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A Sharpening systems

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Joiner_8
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi all I have been looking at upgrading my sharpening system but don’t want to spend a fortune, im thinking of buying a record power wg- 250 or the wg- 200 what is the difference apart from the price which one would you recommend any comments welcome .

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi,

Both of the bench grinders mentioned would sharpen your tools. The difference between the two seems to be size, the 200 is 8″ and the 250 is 10″. Bench grinders tend to be a bit aggressive so you would need to watch out for that. The Robert Sorby Pro Edge is a much better bet, it does cost more but its specifically set up to give perfect angles and the belts available allow you to tailor the aggression of the sharpening process.

Les Symonds
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi joiner 8, I have to agree with Dunc, the Sorby Proedge will take some beating. As a professional woodturner I’ve used grinding wheels for years and most recently with CBN wheels, but I’ve just bought a Proedge from Olivers and I have to say that the quality of the machine simply speaks for itself. If you can justify the extra cost, go for it…I’m quite sure that you won’t be disappointed.

Phil
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I was in the same predicament, wanted the Proedge system but couldn’t justify the cost, I went for the Record Power wg-200 and I’m very happy with it, after a little practice I’m achieving excellent finishes.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Joiner 8

I used a cheap bench grinder when I started out and learn’t to sharpen with it ok they are a bit aggressive on your tools. There no need to go for a Record just look for the cheapest one you can find they all work the same. If you can find one with a wider wheel that would be better for doing finger nail grinds.

I moved over to the ProEdge by accident when I set up Olivers Woodturning. I got the Sorby rep to come and teach me how the ProEdge worked, then decided to bring the display unit home while we were shut for the Christmas break (2014) just so I knew how it worked should anyone start asking me questions about it.

It has never left my workshop it’s so quick and simple and the cutting edge it gives is great. As it’s so quick to sharpen your tools your not temped to try and make those extra couple of cuts with a tool that is blunt, so improves your work.

But like all things it’s down to budget and with a bit of work the cheap bench grinder will do the job.

All the best

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.