Signing off

Home Forums Chit Chat Signing off

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  charliewatson 12 months ago.

• Author
    Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

My handwriting is absolutely awful. I have tried signing the bottom of my bits & bobs but it was, quite frankly, embarrassing. I toyed with the idea of having a branding iron made, but with my limited budget that too was out of the question.
    I then though, “hang on, if I’m thinking of scorching a logo etc. into the wood, why not a rubber stamp?”
    So I had one made for a few quid, and I have to say I’m pretty happy with the result.

I think it looks quite good on the purpleheart.

Dunc
    Dunc
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

How well does the ink work if the work is waxed or coated in some way?

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Not sure yet. It works fine with acrylic. Time will tell

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Thats not a bad idea that Tom.  Might raid the wife’s  stamp stash and have a play.

Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Tom

That’s a great idea, I had a branding iron made but it has it’s problems the bottom has to be dead flat for it to work.

If you apply the ink stamp after sanding with the finish over the top it should not change at all.

The guy that I learnt woodturning with Tom Pockley, he signs his work with an ink pen and that stays there no problem

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

The bottom has to be fairly flat for the rubber stamp too, but it is a little bit flexible. I had to stamp one of my tooth fairy bells near the edge because the base is usually cupped inwards so that they rest just on the very rim.

I tried stamping over the top of friction polish, but the ink only partially set so it smudged. Rubbing alcohol wouldn’t remove the rest, so I have no idea what kind of ink it is. I will try different finishes I use over the weekend to see what works and what doesn’t. If I have to make up a small template to spray with acrylic just on the stamp then fair enough.

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

The wife does a lot of card making and the ink she uses is permanent  and designed for a multitude of applications.  Might be worth a punt.

http://www.bladerubberstamps.co.uk/site/inkpads.php

Cheers

Brody

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Tom

How are you getting on with the signing of your work? Have you come up with an ink that works?

I have been talking to a mate of mine and I’m going to try a steel template that has the logo/name cut out and then you could use a soldering iron to trace the patten details are then burnt on the item. 🙂

Ed

charliewatson
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

A lot of optional consideration when you use branding, in fact even variety of medium to use. However, before branding, you should first focus on brand name itself, its unique identity and a reliable name. To know more of successful brand name you can get ideas from here http://eatmywords.com/services/names/.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.