Speed Control

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A Speed Control

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bazz Fitch 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Bazz Fitch
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Has anyone out there got any ideas for a speed controller for an Axminster AWSL1000.  I know now that I should have bought one with a built in controller but that back then and I got what I thought was OK (and it was at the time).  I’m now looking for an external speed controller and am about to start experimenting with various electronic bits and pieces.  If anyone out there has built one, or knows of an affordable priced one, I’d love to hear from them.

Bazz

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi Bazz. The best option is to have a look at a speed genie kit.  They do reto kits for the AWSL1000 which includes all new pulleys with the motor and controller.

They’re a very good company and many people I know who have used them sing their praises.

Ive posted the link below. Hope this is usefull

Cheers    Brody

http://www.haydockconverters.co.uk/lathe_conversion_kits.htm

woody
    woody
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi I have a speed genie on my Nova lathe and I must say it is a very good bit of kit and in my opinion far superior and cheaper  by me buying the 8 speed lathe then the speed genie I saved £500 on the V/S lathe

Bazz Fitch
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi Guys
    Thanks for your responses so far. I’ve looked at the Speed Genie option and I find it rather expensive, so much so that it would be more cost effective for me to buy a new lathe with electronic control rather than buy a ready made system. Maybe that’s just me being tight, who knows.
    I’m an electronics engineer (or was when working) and I’m trying to manufacture one in my workshop at home rather than cough up for an “off the shelf solution”.
    I’m still looking and will follow up with what, if anything, I do to resolve this issue.
    Thanks again
    Bazz

Desmoengine
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi Bazz

some 25-30 years ago before power drills were battery powered and  tailed drills only had 2 speeds by gear box ,i recall the pratice of using a light dimmer switch as a variable speed controller. thats the showing of age bit ,now upto date methods appear to be by inverter controlers. I have a axminster mini lathe that has such a controller, what i have seen is that the motor is a single phase 230v spec 375w from its plate markings. the controler can be removed out of circuit to give a single speed from the motor at 230v and runs quite hapily (speed is then changed via belt on pulleys).

so my thoughts are that for this inverter controler to drive this motor at reduced and increased specified fixed speed it must surely vary the drive ac frequency + and – 50hz.

it plugs into a standard power outlet with a 3A fuse . hope this helps your ideas along the way.

dave w

Bazz Fitch
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi Dave
    I’ve been thinking along the same lines of using a lighting dimmer/phase control system. I found a couple of such items on ebay for the princely sum of £2:50 so I thought I’d give them a try. They’ve just arrived and I’m going to try it out on a spare ac motor I have here in my workshop.
    In the meantime I’ve spoken to one of the Haydock brothers who tells me that it’s almost impossible to control the speed of a single phase motor that easy. Their system relies on replacing the motor with a three phase one and using subsequent frequency control. The only snag with this is that the “Variomatic” speed control needs to be removed and a replacement drive pulley fitted as well as a motor adaptor plate. This is available at a cost of some £447.
    You can see why I’m trying to do it cheaper and suggest that a new lathe would be easier. On the other hand I’m assured that the axminster lathe is a damn good lathe. Regards Bazz

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.