Table top or stand?

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A Table top or stand?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    iansblog
    iansblog
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

So after quite a bit or reading I think I have selected my lathe the Record Power CL4 (http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/professional-electronic-variable-speed-lathe#.VkHmDeL0SpE ).
    It has the variable speed that I have been advised would be a good idea and for my part I like the way the headstock can be moved to the centre of the bed bars before turning outward as I would like to do some platters and space in my work area will be limited, I figured that this would give me the best of both worlds.

So onto my question after looking at the Adjustable Lathe Stand ( http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/adjustable-lathe-stand-for-cl-series-lathes ) would I be better to build a bench?

Ian

Collin
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

When I had my lathe mounted on the bench I had a cupboard underneath and it turned the bench into a soundbox.  It was so loud I could be heard in the house.

I bought my new lathe (Axi AT1628) and went for the legs.  Not regretted it for a moment.

iansblog
    iansblog
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I do like the look of the AT1628VS but could not figure out of it was as flexible as the CL4 for positioning & turning the headstock.

Thanks for the heads up on the sound box issue I had not thought of that, I guess the legs have it, a ZZ Top song springs to mind now 🙂

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Now got back online on my old laptop.

The Axminster AT1628VS is the way to go. Great lathe I’ve had mine for nearly two years and it’s had a lot of use 🙂

Ed

iansblog
    iansblog
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Sounds like I should hold off for a few weeks and get the AT1628VS, now I know the headstock can move around like the CL4 the extra few hundred pounds will be worth the wait, with a bit of luck everything will be in place before my course in January.

Thanks to the call Ed it was a real help.

Ian

Collin
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

If you can be patient and wait and get the 1628 with the stand you will not regret it.  I looked at the CL4 when I was buying and I decided on the Axi mainly due to the flat bed rather than the bars.

Good luck!

Adrian
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi Ian

I started turning back in March and like you spent the time researching the different lathes on offer. I joined the local woodturning club and pestered some members as to lathes they use and it was an eye opener to see the various ones in use.  I also visited our local Axminster and was able to try the 1628 they had in their working area, what a great lathe but unfortunately out of my price range due to the other items I had on my shopping list.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="240"]My Lathe My Lathe & Bench[/caption]

I managed to get a second hand Hegner HDB200 off ebay which I have been very pleased with but this came without a stand and as I am limited on storage space I decided to make a bench including storage. I had read of the issues with soundbox issues and stability. To get round this i used 6×2 top rails and formed a box running the full length of the bench and filled this with dry sand. This has made the bench very stable and I have no issues with soundboxing. (Don’t know if iv’e attached the picture correctly)

Good luck on your journey into turning.

Regards

Adrian

Dunc
      Dunc
      Keymaster
      • Skype Name:

Ian, looks like you tried to link to a photo on your machine’s desktop. You need to have the image hosted online for that to work I’m afraid, something like Photobucket would do the trick.

iansblog
    iansblog
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the advice, space is at a premium for me so under the lathe storage would be nice.

Cant see the picture but it would be good to see the bench design for ideas.

Thanks.

Ian

Adrian
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

My Lathe

Hi Ian

I hope I have got the picture right this time. Computers and me are not really a good mix. Thanks Dunc for the heads up re Photobucket. It would be good if there were some instructions on posting pictures for us ludites.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Sorry. As I said i’m a Luddite and obviously not got this right.

iansblog
    iansblog
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

No worries, I get the idea.

I will post some photos up when I start to build my workshop and then post up a how to use photos thing if I figure it out 🙂

Ian

Adrian
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi Ian

The cupboard cost me about £85 in materials including drawer runners. The top rails are 6×2 and the section was boxed and filled with sand. The doors and drawers are from 18mm MDF and the top is 2x 18mm MDF stuck together.

iansblog
    iansblog
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

So I have decided to go for the Axminster AT1628VS lathe with legs it should be with me some time in mid Feb I have also decided to devote a little more space in my garage to turning so I can fit everything in that I am looking to get.

It’s getting quite exciting 🙂

It will soon be time to visit Ed and pick up some other bits and bobs as well.

Ian

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Good choice Ian I bet you can’t wait to get started 🙂

See you soon

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.