Too dry too turn

Home Forums Chit Chat Too dry too turn

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

madmalooney
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hi can anyone please advise me, I just got some spalted blank spindles delivered today and took them straight into the shed to turn, on opening the box I noticed how light in weight they all were but dispite this I cut off a 4 inch bit and started to rough it down the wood was very dusty but I managed to get some sort of smoothish finish with a skew. I then started to try and put some shape into it (maybe an apple I thought) my gouge had just been sharpened but dispite this it just tore out the wood then the whole thing just split and flew off the lathe hitting me in the shoulder! Now I ain’t been doing this woodturning that long but I’ve never had spalted beech behave like that before. I tested it with my moisture meter and found each spindle had 0% moisture other blanks I have are normally around 10-15 % I know I’m going on but my question is……is can wood be too dry too turn?

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

The simple answer is yes, spalted woods can go beyond turning. The worse the wood the harder it is turn. Some woodturners see it as a challenge and seek out such wood.

It’s very sharp tools and very fine cuts.

All the best

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.