Turning spalted blanks

Home Forums Learning Resources Turning spalted blanks

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Eddie 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

bobc
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

just bought a few blanks and hear turning spalted wood can be difficult due to soft bits. Anyone got some advice about what to use to fill these damaged areas (leaving some for decoration) and at what point in the turning process?

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

The best way to turn spalted woods, is to use a very sharp tool with fine smooth cuts. You need to minimise as much sanding as possible.

If you find that you have soft areas that you are having trouble with, then the first point of call would be to soak the area in sanding sealer, let this dry and try again. This works for both cutting the wood with the tool and sanding.

Another way is to flood the area with CA (super glue) this will make the soft area hard.

You could also enhance the area with epoxy resin and metal fillers, this is best done once the basic shape is turned. Then fill the area with the epoxy mix. Make your final finishing cuts & then sand.

Hope that helps

Ed

Eddie
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

So glad I found this topic, got a couple of Sycamore blanks (spalted of course which is why I’m commenting) and as read in Eds post found a rather soft patch.  I did think of CA aka Super glue (Dm Dm Dmmm) but wanted to make sure. 🙂

Eddie

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.