What to commission?

Home Forums Chit Chat What to commission?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hello

I am slightly invading this forum as I have no experience or knowledge of wood turning. I have however had to cut down (not personally) a number of trees from our garden. Silver birches, a large sycamore, some other that I can’t remember off the top of my head and the future of a very large birch is not looking bright (nor is the room behind it).

We still have a lot of the logs and I would like to commission something out of them but am not sure what. Ideally I would love to have a set of deep and shallow bowls made but the cost of a building restoration means that is not possible right now and is unlikely until we are finished (probably in about 4 years).

Does the wood need to season (?) and how long could we keep it for before it is no good.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things that I could commission?

Thank you for you help

Carla

Participant
      • Skype Name:

Hi Carla

I’m relatively new to woodturning but have lots of years experience of working with trees. I’ve been doing a lot of research trying to find out how to store freshly cut (green) wood or turning it and storing it. There seem to be risks associated with wood splitting and the splitting can render a lot of the wood unusable for larger projects and involves factors depending on when the tree was cut down, which will likely affect its water content and the species.

I’m only scratching the surface but I think I’m right in saying that if you can regulate and slow down the speed at which the water leaves the wood then you’ve got a better chance of preserving some useable wood in the future.

Four years sounds ideal and if it was me then I’d look at sealing the cut ends with a purpose made solution, wax or waterproof PVA and put the logs somewhere sheltered, where they’ll have air circulating around them and out of direct sunlight, which will speed up drying and water loss.

I’ve initially been turning wood from my old fire wood piles and essentially that’s how that wood was stored but without the end grain sealing.

If you are going to process the timber and cut the logs in half (lengthways) then there are things like avoiding the original centre of the tree (its pith) and the placing of the cut, which will affect how much usable wood you’re left with, which dictates the size of the bowl/project. So that could be a job left for a later date after initially sealing them.

In terms of things that you could commission, I’d suggest that will be driven on what usable wood you have but I would have thought mature birch tree s and a large sycamore will provide plenty of options for many diffenrt types of bowls at the very least.

Hope that helps.

Jason

Participant
      • Skype Name:

hello carla
      if you can process the wood it will keep in shaded shelter. Bags of information on YouTube which will help you better than I can. Do paint the ends of your logs. Old paint will do it a lot cheaper than special products. It will keep until you’re ready to turn it yourself. Sycamore is best stored upright if you can.
      steve

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.