Whats a good high gloss finish

Home Forums Woodturning Q&A Whats a good high gloss finish

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Hey guys I have been wondering about finish techniques and also looking at other example of work and wonder, how do they get that high gloss finish that gleams of the light in the room.

is their any products that are able to do that, I am looking to apply this to bowls and larger items as well as some smaller items such as coin bowls an things that are close to light so it shows up the high quality. I would also be nice if it’s hard wearing but not an issue if it is not.

all the Best

Luke

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Morning Luke. There are a few ways of getting high gloss. Ca glue can give a really good high gloss finish and is very durable, as Ed has demonstrated to really good effect.

You can also use things like Chestnut gloss lacquer. I use this a fair bit.

The key is to get a really well prepared surface and go through the sanding grits to at least 600. I then apply a sealer followed by several light coats of spray lacquer . Then once fully cured I use burnishing cream to even out the finish and give it a really good shine.

Hope that’s of use mate?

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Luke

As Brody has said the CA or lacquer will give you a glass type finish but it’s a build up of coats and burnishing cream to finish.

But you can get a high gloss finish with oils or waxes as well but it takes a week or two. You apply a coat of finish and leave for 12 – 24 hours then buff then add the next coat and repeat, you need to build up 6 to 10 coats.

The wax or oil may add to the piece due to a slight colour change or give the piece some type of warm glow, but it can also go against you if it changes the colour tone of the wood. The best thing is to always play around with a off-cut of the wood your using first.

All the best

Ed

luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Thanks guys that should really help and I will try the lacquer.

What sealer do you apply is it a liquid or spray or does it not really matter?

Luke

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Any sanding sealer you will need to rub the work down in between each coat with wire wool or nyweb pads to make sure the surface is completely smooth. It’s a good idea to take the piece out in the daylight to check it.

Ed

luke
    luke
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

that great ED I should have all i need for the finish I wanted

Luke

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Luke post a picture in the gallery when it’s done 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.