Why I detest couriers

Home Forums Chit Chat Why I detest couriers

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ed (the amateur) turner ed (the amateur) turner 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

I should have had a delivery today from Axminster. Courier claims the goods were delivered at 15:06 today. Not true. There has been at least 2 people indoors all day. When I called the courier I was told “You need to go and talk to everyone in the street to see where the driver left it before we can talk to you.” When I replied, “Errmm no. Your driver needs to deliver the goods as your company was contracted to do.”

“You need to be quiet and listen to what I am telling you. You need to speak to all your neighbours first.”

Cue an extremely loud explosion from me and courier threatening to “hang up on you if you don’t behave.”

Called Axminster, who have instructed courier to go and collect goods and return them, and have sent a replacement for pre-10:00AM delivery tomorrow using DPD instead.

Not sure if it’s allowed to name the courier, so didn’t to err on the side of caution, but it’s not the green and yellow brigade who just went bust. If this is how they conduct themselves though, I fully expect them to be next.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

fingers crossed they sort it out.

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

UKMail courier turned up this afternoon claiming she had delivered the parcel to the wrong address by mistake. This, of course is an out and out lie. The property she claimed to have delivered my goods to is for sale and has been empty for the last 6 months. The box was sodden, as if it had been dumped outside the door of an empty house and left there overnight.

As things stand, the guarantee by Axi to use a different courier was not upheld in any case. I got a notification this morning that a replacement had been shipped via the same useless courier and not the alternative I was promised. Having been an Axminster customer for many years, I have to say I feel particularly let down in this instance.

Time will tell whether the damp has affected the operation of the chuck. I’m not particularly confident that getting a replacement would be any less stressful if they insist on using the same cowboy outfit to ship what is fairly expensive equipment

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Tom

I had a similar problem with Axi I purchased a dust extraction system the carriers cock up the delivery this was TNT then Axi cocked it up much further. It’s a long story but I don’t go back to Axi any more.

The service that I have received while setting up my workshop was part of the reason that I set up Olivers Woodturning.

If the other chuck arrives keep it and let Axi pick up the one that was left outside would be my advice.

Happy New Year 🙂

Ed

brodylee
    brodylee
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Agree with Ed on this one Tom. If they want the other chuck back, let them come get it! I’ve  had the same problems and the last time i bought from Axi was when i bought my lathe, and i collected that as i prefer to check things over when im lashing out some serious wedge. Even then, the two “qualified ” members of staff needed me to tell them how to load it in my van without  taking chunks out of it.

TThat’s  not to say that every experience  I’ve  had with them has been poor, they have, in the past been extremely  helpful. But alas big companies are slipping, and as the emphasis on sales targets and pretty graphs to show to the board become more important, service and knowledge takes a battering.

Small independant companies are always my first port of call these days.

I needed some turning blanks for a costomers request last year, and although not listed on Olivers  website, Ed got them for me. Don’t  see one of the big companies going the extra mile anymore.

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Well, after a promise from Axminster customer services to contact me on Jan 2nd, and no contact taking place, the chuck can sit under my stairs indoors until someone makes an effort to do something about it. Even then, as we are all back at work on Monday, it will be done at my convenience.
    Having dealt with Axminster many times in the past with no trouble I feel very let down by this incident. The initial courier being a lazy lying bint issue was beyond their control. To make promises then immediately break them however, is not acceptable. My day job is in IT, and customer relations is a huge part of what we do. Lying and making promises you cannot possibly keep are an absolute no-no.

After this experience, I will think twice about using Axminster. It’s a great shame because when I sell bits & bobs or when birthdays come along I usually ask for Axminster gift cards rather than money. That way I know it will get spent on what I want rather than going through the house.

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

3 out of 3

How completely incompetent can a single company be? I’ve really had it with Axminster and their pitiful excuse for a customer service manager. Apparently, the reason the same shonky courier was used the second time was because “DPD could not collect on the 30th for a pre-noon next day delivery.” I agreed with the customer services person on-line that the replacement was to be sent via DPD and that it would arrive on Jan 2nd between 8:00AM and 8:00PM
    I said I wasn’t bothered about expedited delivery, I just wanted it done properly.
    As it turned out the item arrived 2 days and 4 hours after the pre-noon next day delivery deadline. Well done Axminster for expediting the delivery!
    To add insult to injury, the customer services manager used the same retards to uplift the surplus item. It was arranged the uplift would be today (Thursday January 8th) and that the courier would not be allowed to take the item without giving a receipt. The courier arrived yesterday and refused point blank to receipt the pick-up stating, “It is against company policy to give receipts for goods collected.”

Axminster’s customer services manager, as yet, has failed to comment on the third attempt at using this company being as disastrous as the first.
    Some folk have said it’s the courier’s fault and not Axminser’s.
    I disagree. To use a shoddy service once is an error. To use it twice is stupid. To use it three times though? There are not enough curse words in every language in the world combined to describe the incompetence of expecting a customer to put up with being let down so many times over a single transaction.

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Breaking news!

The slipshod courier who originally “delivered” the chuck to an empty property turned up today to collect the surplus package. Yes, the one the useless company collected yesterday. She apologised to my wife for what she did, said she has been reprimanded, and the company told her what she did was fraud.
    Now….. I know I’m a product of the last century, but if any employee of mine committed fraud which put my business in a bad light – that employee’s feet would not touch the floor.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Hi Tom

Well that seem to go well NOT!!! you should never let a carrier collect something from you with out getting a receipt. If anything goes wrong you need to be able to prove to the company that the item was collected.

Ed

Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    • Skype Name:

Oh I got a receipt Ed, albeit hand written on a card – it’s still a receipt. If they deny collecting the goods, the Police will be involved. I’ve had enough of them.

On the flip side, having that receipt – if Axminster never see their chuck, perhaps that will be a lesson learned.

Since my last e-mail to their Customer Services Manager who was supposedly handling my case, I have heard nothing. She hasn’t even had the good grace to acknowledge my communication. Now it may well be that a customer who has spent just shy of £1000 in the previous 10 months is chicken-feed to a company as large and wealthy as Axminster. But to me, that is an awful lot of money, and to be dismissed in such a fashion is extremely disrespectful.

As far as I’m concerned now, Axminster can slug it out with UK Mail.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

ed (the amateur) turner
    ed (the amateur) turner
    Keymaster
    • Skype Name:

Tom not wishing to put down a competitor but I purchase my machinery from axi and I had problems and got the same thing from their customer services and the store manager.

In the past 12 months I’ve spent best part of 5k with them. I was going to do a demo with my club last year at our local store, I had to let my club down there was no way I was going to demo with the club for axi to gain out of my time.

They are part of the reason I set up selling the tools and if things workout ok then I’ll sell a bit of machinery for woodturner in the next 12 months.

The customer must always come first 🙂

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.