This Cigar Pen and Pencil Assembly Guide is written with the Rotur kits in mind but can be used as a general guide for most types of kits.
- 24 Kt. gold plated with epoxy coating.
- Smooth twist operation.
- Pen and Pencil designed with similar components as a matching set.
- Heavy weight, elegant design.
- Pencil uses a quality, german “SCHMIDT” 0.5mm lead mechanism.
- Pen uses Parker type ballpoint refill.
- Overall length: 5-5/8″.
- 7mm Long Mandrel.
- 3 Pc. Pen Bushing Set
- 10mm Drill Bit
- Optional 10mm Barrel Trimmer.
- 2 Part Epoxy Glue or Insta-Cure (cyanoacrylate)
Preparing the Blanks
- Cut 3/4″ square blank to the length of the brass tube (add 1/16″ for squaring off).
- Drill a 10mm centre hole through the length of the blanks.
- Spread glue over the tube and insert the tube into the blank with a twisting motion to spread the glue evenly inside. Centre the tube inside the blank.
- When the glue dries, square the ends of the blank. Use a 10mm barrel trimmer or a belt/disc sander to trim the wood down flush to the end of the brass tube.
Turning the Blanks
- Place the stop bushing or 7mm spacer bushings onto the mandrel hand tight.
- Place the longer cap bushing, widest diameter first onto the mandrel.
- Slide on the shorter upper blank and place the centre bushing, widest diameter first, onto the mandrel.
- Slide on the longer lower blank and follow with the shorter tip bushing.
- Thread on the lock nut hand tight and bring the tail stock snug with the mandrel. Do not over tighten as it could damage the mandrel.
- Slide the stop bushing towards the blank, adjusting to remove spaces.
- Tighten the set screw and tighten the lock nut.
- Using a lathe chisel, turn the blank down flush with the bushings. Taper the ends of the blanks (see diagram B for a suggested profile) to conform with cap and tip bushings.
- Finish the blank with sandpapers of gradually higher grits and then your choice of polish or waxes.
Pen Assembly – Upper Barrel
Note: In most cases, tip and clip/coupler parts will be furnished assembled, make sure it is assembled tightly.
- Pen Assembly – Upper Barrel.
- Press clip/coupler assembly into the tapered end of the barrel.
- Place the gold disc over the centre band and press towards the opposite side.
Pen Assembly – Lower Barrel
- Press tip assembly into the tapered (smaller) end of the barrel.
- Press the coupling, recessed end in first, towards the opposite end.
- Place the refill with spring inside the barrel.
- Screw the twist mechanism over the refill onto the coupler to the end.
Pen Assembly – Final Assembly
- Engage both barrels. Slide the twist mechanism inside until parts are connected.
- The pen operates by twisting the two halves to extend or retract to refill.
- Line up finished parts according to diagram E.
- Press clip/couple assembly into the tapered end of the upper barrel.
- Unscrew the upper black sleeve of the pencil mechanism from the brass coupler. Remove the couple from the mechanism.
- Press the brass coupler, short extension end in first, into the un-tapered end of the lower barrel.
- Press the tip assembly into the opposite end of the barrel.
- Press the clip/coupler assembly into the tapered end of the barrel.
- Place the disc over the extension of the centre band. Press this assembly into the opposite end of the upper barrel.
- Engage the upper and lower barrels until the gap is closed.
- The pencil operates by twisting the upper barrel gently clockwise, until a click is heard. Continue to twist to attain the desired lead extension.
- To retract the lead twist the barrel clockwise and hold. Push the lead back in.